Yoast SEO is arguably the best SEO plugin for WordPress and more than that it is free. In our Web Design Agency, we use it on every project to supercharge our SEO efforts.
While there are many SEO plugings out there for WordPress, not many of them have the advanced features like connecting your website with Google Search Console.
What is Google Search Console?
Google Search Console is the newest iteration of a tool that Google has had for over a decade. Formerly it was called Google Webmaster Tools.You can read all about it here on Google’s Blog.
Once you add your website to Google Search Console, you have access to a number of tools. But here are a few of the most useful tools.
- Site Issues and Errors- See if your servers are functioning properly and people can access your website.
- Search Analytics- Here you’ll find useful information on search terms people are using on Google to find your website.
- Sitemaps- You can see how Google has been indexing your website.
In addition to these tools, you can also find more information like structured data, inbound links, content keywords, and security issues.
The information found in Google Search Console is very valuable for anyone running a website.
Using Yoast SEO to Connect Your Website to Google Search Console
Here are some simple steps to connect your website.
- Sign into Google Search Console with your Google Account (Gmail)
- Choose an Alternate Method of Verifying your website
- Choose HTML Tag
- Copy the Meta code tag
- Insert the code into Yoast SEO and save
- Return to Google Search Console and Verify your website
I’ve put together a PDF illustrating some steps on connecting Google Search Console and a few things you might consider doing once you’ve connected your website.
Over time you’ll gain a wealth of information from Google Search Console. This information taken alongside of Google Analytics will give you great information to help you improve your business’ online efforts.